Friday 29 January 2010

20th Jan 2010 - Session one

The plan had been to meet with the group the previous Weds & Thursday sessions and due to the snow my first session with the group was part of Jim's Teatime Treats run bu Jim from Neighbours in Poplar following on from the regular Bingo session












I had already met with Jeanie to discuss how I thought we would work on the sessions. We started off with a round of conversations about the club and it's history over tea using old photos to get us going. Jeanie, Kitt and & Irene all have lived on the Brownfield Estate since the 60's.

Jim who comes in weekly to fuel the members with home cooked dinner and plenty of tea and gossip! Jim lives on the Teviot Estate, Poplar and runs a number of other over 50's sessions in the area.
I was invited to join in with dinner - a proper trip down memory lane, reminiscent of dinners with my Gran who lived in Barking.
We used the archive of photos taken over the years of the club and their away days and holidays. I brought in examples of the work I have led working with other groups of over 50's which allowed the group to find out more about me.
"Are you a hippy like Jayne?" "You don't wear them big boots though."
Part of the ideas running around in my head are how to share all of the elements of personal history in the club given that most, if not all, items of furniture, crockery and glassware have been donated by different members of the club along the way.
"We started off with nothing and worked up."
"We got the piano for a £1 from a man that did house clearances."



"The council gave us the tables & chairs as well as the velvet curtains we used to have."

No comments:

Post a Comment